The winner of Heathrow Airport’s November #AvGeek of the Month is Matt Carter!
We caught up with this month’s winner to find out more about his interest in aviation and shared a selection of amazing shots.
Name: Matt Carter
Aviation enthusiast, spotter or photographer? Or all 3? I would say all three! Definitely a spotter with a HUGE passion for aviation with the moments captured by photography.
What first interested you in aviation?/Why are you an #AvGeek?
I have been interested in aviation for as long as I can remember. From childhood memories watching Concorde take off, to flying regularly with airlines like Britannia Airways and Monarch. From the moment I stepped on board, to looking out over the clouds, it has always stayed with me. I guess you could say it was love at first flight!
Today, I enjoy flying whenever I can, flying new and old aircraft and spotting at airports across the UK and Europe, meeting other avgeeks who share the same passion as me.
What do you love most about coming to Heathrow?
Heathrow has always been a special place to me. From the huge variety of airlines that fly in and out of the airport, to the impressive selection of aircraft that visit. A day flying or spotting from Heathrow is never the same as you always see something new, whether that be a new aircraft type, airline livery or inaugural flights like the Qantas Dreamliner connecting the UK and Australia with the first non-stop flight. It truly has an international feel.
Check out a selection of Matt’s incredible shots!
Favourite aircraft livery at Heathrow?
This is a tough one, but currently there is a clear winner – the British Airways Retro jets.
Also, seeing the Queen of the Skies, Boeing 747 in BOAC and Landor colours again is truly spectacular!
Social media accounts:
Any tips for other #AvGeeks?
- Visit your local airport, take pictures and share them. Many avgeeks love seeing other avgeeks’ photos and often form friendships through the mutual interest.
- You don’t have to be a professional photographer. There are many talented avgeek photographers out there who create some fantastic photos, however equally anyone can catch a great moment. So, whether you’ve just picked up a camera for the first time or have been doing it for a while, embrace it.
- Download apps like FlightRadar24 and Plane Finder which will help you track what aircraft are flying in and help you time it right when capturing the perfect picture.
- Enjoy it! There have been times I’ve been worried about how it would look or come across as sad, but it’s actually not. In fact, its great and I’m lucky to have a hobby and something I’m passionate about. Aviation may not be everyone’s thing but it’s yours, so enjoy it.
- Look up at the sky, visit your local airport and enjoy taking and sharing those special pics.
Think you know someone who should be Heathrow’s #AvGeek of the Month? Tweet us @yourHeathrow or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While you’re here, why not share this page with your friends or check out our History section.